Federal Policy Advocate - National Abortion Federation
Federal Policy Advocate
National Abortion Federation
The National Abortion Federation (NAF), the leading pro-choice organization representing abortion providers and their patients, has an immediate full-time opening for the position of Federal Policy Advocate.
NAF is a 501(c)(3) organization, dedicated to ensuring that abortion is safe, legal, and accessible. Our members include 400 clinics, hospitals and physicians’ offices in the United States, Canada and Mexico City. Our dynamic and innovative programs span a wide range of services designed to meet the unique needs of abortion providers and their patients. NAF’s programs include: accredited continuing medical education; quality assurance and improvement; clinic security and law enforcement education; clinical, legal, and consumer publications; public education; public policy advocacy; group purchasing and a national toll-free hotline.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Developing strategies for introducing new legislation and responding to proposed legislation affecting the provision of reproductive health care at the federal level;
- Establishing and maintaining relationships with other pro-choice organizations and with the offices of members of the U.S. Congress;
- Promoting NAF’s policy priorities with the Administration;
- Representing the voices of patients and abortion providers and communicating organizational priorities in meetings with federal legislators and administrators;
- Educating and engaging NAF members around federal legislative and legal issues relating to reproductive health care; and
- Collaborating with NAF staff to identify trends affecting NAF members the state, federal, and international levels and developing legislative initiatives and strategic responses to address member needs.
- Commitment to reproductive choice;
- 3-5 years legislative policy experience, preferably in reproductive rights;
- Law degree or masters in public policy preferred;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Outstanding analytical ability;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Working knowledge of word processing, database, and web-based applications; and
- Knowledge of women’s health care issues desirable.
Commensurate with experience; excellent benefits.